Thursday, January 8, 2015

The Top Five Ways to Ruin Your First Semester of Law School:

Entering into law school, I was warned by countless attorneys about the intense grind of the first year. They warned against the dangers of a lack of sleep, organization, and not keeping a healthy diet. It all went in one ear, and out the other. Indeed, I remember telling myself, “hey, undergrad was a breeze, I’ll just utilize my same study habits and  methods whilst in law school- it worked for me then, it should work for me now.” FAIL.

        As I progressed through my first semester in law school, I realized I had been tackling this behemoth of a task completely inefficiently, and, quite honestly, pathetically. By the end of the semester, during finals week, I found myself staring blankly at what was my finals schedule, desperately trying to come up with a reason as to why, after weeks and weeks of preparation, I felt so…unprepared. All things being said, I rose up from that humbling experience, and swore to become more efficient as a law student.
        The following five mistakes are those that I committed during my first semester of law school. I list them so that aspiring law students acknowledge them and avoid such simple, yet greatly impactful, success stoppers. They will by no means ensure scholastic success, but they will at the least help alleviate or prevent the helpless feeling of being underprepared when finals finally roll around.

                5. Do not accept every invite to social functions: this includes “quick” in-between class lunch breaks; dinners, or drinks nights .
It is not until your law school orientation that you realize how social law school actually is. In fact, if there is one thing I learned during my first semester, is that the field of law is essentially comprised of one large web of social networki connections. Do not fall into the practice of accepting the invites of all of your new found friends to social functions and justifying by saying, “it will only take an hour or two”, as it will distract you from your class preparation and will ultimately find your self in class with a blank stare as your professor explains the Battle of the Forms and RS 347.

                4. Do not just ‘read’ the cases.
Initially, I found myself simply reading through the cases that professors assigned in preparation for class. And by reading, I mean scanning. Unfortunately, it wasn’t until about the end of the first month that I realized that in law school, you essentially teach yourself through your reading of assignments. Professors ultimately only clarify certain concepts, and for the most part, you rely on the rules of law conveyed from each case form which you will piece together the entire concept of a field, such as Contracts or Civil Procedure. Take the time to actually comprehend what you read, and not simply dash through to the finish line.

                3. If using a laptop to take class notes, do not activate an instant messenger program to function during class.

After buying my MacBook Air, I had officially joined the ranks of a law student. It’s incredible- a law class is essentially one large tree composed of tiny white apples lighting the room, which means that every one has instant messenger, which means that anyone can contact you, at any time… The message warning will pop up on you screen, to which you will naturally pay attention to and in the process happen to miss the entire conversation about a crucial rule of law pertaining to the subject matter you were supposed to be learning for the final exam. Considering you pay over $400 an hour to sit in class, even missing out on 5 minutes of lecture is too rich for my blood. Messaging in class, and looking at face book is a way to easy and effective way of guaranteeing severe gaps in your class notes, and ultimately, your final exam outline.

                2. Do not begin preparing your class outlines until a couple of weeks into the course.

Speaking of outlines, start them early! What are outlines you say? Well, lets just say they will become your golden ticket to your success in law school. You will have piles of class and reading notes, all of which will, hopefully, end up being condensed into one succinct packet of crucial notes form which you will study and grasp about 3 months worth of material. They are the key, the map, to your success on the final. So, do yourself a favor, and start them early! I made the mistake of starting them well after half of the semester had gone by, and by the end, I was scrambling to put them together. No joke, you cannot study without an organized outline- don’t mess around, and make it a priority.

                1. Do not simply save your notes on the laptop or desktop- back it all up!  As Juvenile the rapper would say.

I took class notes and book notes. In fact, I had saved all these on my personal desktop. I had roughly 500 pages of notes comprising three of my doctrinal law courses. One week before one of my final exams, I decided to pull up an outline to finalize it. Unbeknownst to me, I had plugged the power chord of my computer to an outlet that was connected to a switch on a wall. As I worked on my notes, my room mate came in, and casually leaned on the switch, turning it off, along with my computer. My computer didn’t like that. My 65 page outline was gone. The computer rebooted, but without the outline. I had several days until my final exam, and no outline to study from. It was by far one of the most traumatic experiences of my life- one which I do not wish upon any law student! So, if there is a lesson to be learned from all this, back up your notes to at least two sources and avoid a catastrophe.

No comments:

Post a Comment