Wednesday, January 7, 2015

7 Freakouts You Inevitably Have Before Starting Law School



7. How Competitive Is It Really?

Disclaimer: This will be the longest answer… It’ll be easy reading after this answer!
There is a certain competitive nature to law school, but it is nothing to worry
yourself sick about at night about. The reason why law school has this competitive
nature is because, for probably the first time in your academic career, you are
graded on a curve, meaning that not everyone can get A’s. So, instead of taking tests
and everyone competing against the test and how much you can answer, you are
competing against each other and putting as much as you can down on the page.
This, for most students, isn’t normal and people do not know how to handle the fact
that taking tests now involves much more than studying; it involves studying and
knowing the material better than the other students. But, like I said, it is nothing to
worry yourself sick over. As long as you study as hard as you can and know you put
your all into it, you will be fine, I promise. And, if you’ve seen the crazy parts in
movies where people rip pages out of books in library and stuff like that… I’m in law
school and I have a lot of friends in law school, and no one has encountered this or
heard about it happening in school.

6. But What If No One Likes Me?

You’re probably starting at a new school with new people in a new place. Don’t
worry. You will find friends and you will find people you like. Remember, everyone
is in the same boat. Law school kind of feels like middle school… you’re in sections
with the same people in all of your classes, you have lockers and there are usually
seating charts. So, sometimes, it could feel like that. But, everyone will have anxiety
on the first day, and you will find friends to study with, laugh with, cry with (usually
during finals) and you will have a connection with your law school friends that you
won’t have with your other friends because you are all going through this new and
scary experience together.

5. But I Don’t Know Any Lawyers!

You will always think that more people have connections than you when that
probably is not the case. I came into school knowing not one lawyer, judge, anyone
law related really. This is the time where I will tell you to NETWORK. Put yourself
out there! Make connections, meet lawyers, join an association that allows students
and join clubs at school that have networking events. You will find a mentor before
you know it and you will breathe easy knowing you have someone to talk to for not
just law school advice, but for life advice as well.

4. How Am I Going To Sit Through A 4 Hour Test?!

Very easily. It seems impossible right now, but I’m telling you, once you sit down
and that time starts, autopilot takes over and you feel like 5 minutes has gone by. If
you have studied and if you know the material, you will be fine! Instead of thinking
of a 3 or 4 hour test as SO MUCH TIME, think of it as a good amount of time to prove
your arguments and write down how much you know because you studied hard and
you deserve to prove that!

5. Who Is Socrates and Why Is His Method Designed To Torture Us?

If you don’t know who Socrates is… google him. Not that you need to know who he is
for law school purposes… but you should probably know who he is in general!
Anyway, back to law school matters. Most schools still practice the Socratic Method.
Your professor assigns reading for each class and, when you get into class, your
professor will call on a few lucky people to answer questions about the cases for the
day. Don’t be scared! If you read, you will be able to answer the questions with ease,
and if you get tripped up, chances are you’ll already be comfortable enough in your
section that you won’t be embarrassed. Trust me, it happens, but you WILL survive
it. The Socratic Method is designed so the students are teaching each other, as
opposed to the professors handing you all the information, so you will be challenged
but it trains you to be able to talk, think, and argue positions well.

2. How Dressy Do I Actually Have To Be?

Yes, This will be something to cross your mind. Use your discretion. Make a good
impression and dress well for at least the first couple weeks. I’m not saying law
school is a black tie event, but keep it business casual for a week or two. Once you
start to get comfortable and if your school isn’t super uptight, start to wear your
jeans and shirts that aren’t blouses or buttoned all the way up. As a rule of thumb,
though, always be presentable. This isn’t just school, it is the beginning of your
professional career. Always be prepared to make a good impression. Note:
sweatpants during finals are encouraged and, in fact, recommended. But ONLY
during finals!

1. Backpack? Bag? Briefcase?

Much like with number 2 up there, this will be something to cross your mind. I
would actually say that I struggled with this for a solid amount of time. I can’t even
tell you why I was so concerned about it, but I was, and so were a lot of my friends.
This one, though, is the easiest to answer. Use whatever you’re comfortable with!
The books are heavy and there are usually a lot of them… so I like having a backpack
and recommend that. But, it’s totally up to you!
This is not an exhaustive list. You will freak out over a lot more than this and that is
a guarantee. But, just keep in mind: you didn’t get to law school by being a bad
student or a weak person. You put in work, you’re brilliant, you’re strong, and you
can do it. If not, then you wouldn’t be in the position you’re in now. So, even having
the opportunity to freak over these somewhat minor (but what seem like world-
ending) things means you’re taking steps in the right direction!

No comments:

Post a Comment